View Single Post
Old 01-08-2022, 10:50 AM   #51
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1929 Pickup interior

I'm not sure what is being referred to as "Darts". Vinyl did not exist in the materials that Ford used at the time. The Faux leather or leatherette was a pyroxylin coated fabric with different grains embossed on it to give it a look of leather. When leather was used on deluxe models it was many times only located on the seating surfaces of the upper and lower cushions.

I can see the seating surface material and the lower valance portion separated by the piping between the two on the lower cushion in posts numbered 46 & 48, On the upper cushion of post 48, the seating surface is a normal material and the part that surrounds the spring box appears to be a cloth material on the sides and a seating material over the top with piping only on the top where it all can be seen while installed in the cab. I don't know it Ford originally did it this way but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. These vehicles were very much for utility and the accommodations for seating were too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the two authors of the book I referenced in post #32 were not complete as to other panel board types or grain patterns. They didn't make any reference to the difference between the early square cab and the late Budd closed cab either. The one Brent shows in post #33 looks similar to some "Dash" or "Chicken Foot" patterns that Ford used. I figure that Ford had a corner over at the old Highland Park plant where they made the panel board materials or they farmed it out and purchased in rolls or bales. They likely used rollers to press together layers & emboss larger sheets of the board stock that could be cut with pattern dies into all the shapes they needed with minimal waste of materials. Most lower cowl areas and the rumble seat side areas were covered with panel boards such as these as well a Commercial vehicle interior coverings. This was an inexpensive way to add a pleasing look to otherwise ugly spots on their products.

Ford and other manufacturers used similar products for pickups and trucks well up into the 50s or maybe even later till vinyl products replaced them.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-08-2022 at 10:58 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote