View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
jackson

Default Loose adjustable lifter fix

This "fix" is not a newly discovered miracle... but I thought if I post it up my experience it would give some folks with the same issue a "search" destination.

Several years back I rebuilt my '50 Merc Flathead using all new parts from Red's Headers. Included was "1 Set Johnson Style Hollow Adj. Lifters". The engine ran fine after the rebuild, but at about 500 miles, one lifter started clicking... and got progressively worse.

I pulled the intake, found the culprit (#8 intake) and re-adjusted. Why I thought it would stay in adjustment after loosening once already is anybody's guess.

Anyway, at startup, it was quiet.... within 10 minutes it was clattering once again.

At the Lincoln Goodguys event a few weeks back I found a Speedway Motors Flathead guy, and he offered the following fix (again, new to me, but apparently this fix has been around awhile).

I once again removed the intake, adjusted the loose lifter, then sprayed the lifter liberally with brake cleaner. I turned the lifter to be sure to get all sides. I then once again checked the lash, then very carefully dripped some red thread-locker on the lifter adjustment bolt.... around the threads, where they disappear into the lifter body. At the time I was hoping that some would seep down the threads. Didn't use a lot of thread locker, fearing I'd accidentally dribble some down the lifter bore. I then let it set for 36 hours, before buttoning it back up.

Anyway, I have since driven the car over 200 miles, much of it at 65 mph in really HOT conditions (50 miles yesterday in 96 degrees) and no clicking.

Of course, there's still time for it to come loose, but I'm thinking if was going to come loose it would have happened by now. Guess time will tell.