View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 06:56 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: oil leak rear main

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-France- View Post
Hi,
I'm french, and live in Brittany, West of France.
Please excuse me for my english. I can read it easily but it's more difficult for me to speak it or write it ;
I'm a 1928 Model A phaeton owner. it is a family car my father bought 30 years ago in Uruguay.
The engine has been rebuild there at this time. the car had not driven for 20 years and I restart it.

It has a real leak at the rear. I mean a leak, not just a drop. And it is worst just after engine is stopped. I read several threards on this forum.
Oil level is ok, just above L
Oil filler tube is ok and new. I even tried to run the engine without cap.
Rear cork seal of the oil pan is properly sealed
I pulled the 3 bolt of the inspection cover and had a look while engine was running : oil seems to come from the rear main.
I dropped the oil pan. Drain tube seems to be ok.
I attach 3 pictures.

Can someone tell me if there is something wrong or excessive play visible on these pictures.
Thanks !

P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm }

Welcome to Fordbarn Eric. It is nice you are here!!

So I will first confess that I don't work in Metric measurements however I used a calculator and it showed that .21CM converts to 0.080". If the bearing to journal pin clearance is truly eighty-thousandths of an inch, it is no wonder you have a massive oil leak! If you meant 0.021CM, that is about 0.001 which is a little tight. In looking at your pictures, it does not appear there are shiny places in the bearing surface indicating you have that tight of clearance.

One other thing you must check is the crankshaft thrust clearance. This is how much you can move the crankshaft forward and backwards in the engine block. Much more than 0.008" will also cause an oil leak like you describe.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)