View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
Mart

Default Re: Dual master cylinder for drum bakes

Stock master cylinder bore is 1-1/16" bore. The Mustang cylinders mentioned are 1" bore. You will/should experience longer pedal travel if you swap one in. To be perfectly frank, the single system ought to serve perfectly well.
I removed the Mustang cylinder on my roadster and fitted a 1-1/16" unit from a E250 van. The brakes are better as they are working in the sweet spot of the pedal. With the Mustang cylinder the pedal was low before the brakes were on properly. The E250 cylinder is substantially bigger than the Mustang though.

My coupe has a single circuit stock ford type cylinder. I don't worry at all about it. These hobby cars are pampered and kept in good fettle. The risk of failure is very low. Much lower than when cars were literally run into the ground with no maintainance. There is a strong possibility that the pedal travel available is not enough to operate a dual cylinder anyway, in the case of a converted system. OE manufacturers can build in the travel right from the drawing board. If one side fails, the pedal goes half way down before starting to put the other half on. With a typical conversion, chances are the pedal will hit the floor before the remaining brakes are on properly.

(Acknowledgement to V8coopman for alluding to this above.)

A well maintained single circuit system will work just as well, possibly better than an ill thought out conversion. Back it up with a proper well maintained emergency brake and you have dual brakes. One hydraulic circuit and one mechanical.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote