View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
GOSFAST

Default Re: valve seat nightmare

Hi ron, you're really going to have to strip it down for a decent evaluation? Not good news, but it's the "right" way!

I've posted about this issue numerous times before, and it's mentioned above here also, but whoever is doing the machining should be pressure testing the casting. You want to test it before you do ANY machining, unless there's an obvious crack, for example a cylinder, where the sleeve would need to be put in before a pressure-test is even possible, and if there's any previous sleeve work, seat installation's, crack stitching, etc., ANY operation that MAY come into contact with the water jackets, you test it again.

When machining these units it's not uncommon to test them more than twice, it comes with the territory! I've tested some 3 times before they leave. The customer pays ONLY once. At the point we do the work, sleeve, seat, whatever, we need to stand behind it.

Having said all that, if it turns out to be behind the seat area we've had excellent results with (aircraft-type) epoxy BEHIND the seat, before the seat is reinstalled. It must set up for a day and then be remachined for the seat. Not necessarily machining any larger/deeper, but basically to "clean-up" the epoxy.

This confirms again why "magging" the casting isn't 100% positive, they've GOT to be pressure tested.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I know of 2 builds out with this procedure, "cracks" behind the seats, and they've been out for some time. If it's a "very minor" leak it will eventually close itself up. It all depends on the type of leak. These casting's are so "thin" in certain areas that stitching isn't always an option.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote