View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
H. L. Chauvin

Default Model A Oil with Zinc or other Additives

Not trying to hear what kind of oil is used by humpteen different Model A owners; or even start a new thread or war on wild "guesses" as to which Model A oil to use.

But, after reading Pills most "serious" January 23 2015, 10:34 a.m. thread below entitled "On Model A Oil", I looked up the "Shell Rotella 5W40 Oil" that I have currently used for the past 600 miles on my clean rebuilt Model A engine.

Shell's Rotella 5W40 advertising literature "again" appeared very encouraging.

This is only intended to "share" what was reported after researching Shell's "Contacts", & calling a Shell Technician Service Representative named Larry, at 1-800-237-8645.

Larry said as far as he knows, Shell did not conduct Shell Rotella 5W40 test on vintage engines with Babbitt bearings; however, they were all informed that the detergent oils with zinc additives or even "other" non-detergent additives were designed for light duty or heavy duty "modern" engines with insert bearings.

They were cautioned that the zinc additives or other modern oil additives "may" have long time "adverse" chemical effects on "soft" metal Babbitt bearings used in vintage engines as late as the 1950's.

He was honest enough to report that he did not have information as to which non-detergent oil with "additives" was recommended for Model A Babbitt bearings.

Always interesting to speak to non-salesman-oriented manufacturer's trained technicians.

H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote