Thread: tesla Truck
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 12:59 AM   #70
40 Deluxe

Default Re: tesla Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
Forward thinking as technology gets better, same as in 32 when Ford introduced the Flat head V8. I have several ideas that have been floating around in my head for a number of years regarding electric powered vehicles. Here's one idea: Supposing one didn't have to totally rely on a recharging station, but rather had a small Briggs and Stratton type engine that would automatically start and recharge your battery enroute as needed. Supposing if this option were avalaible the battery capacity/weght/cost could be reduced to propel the vehicle and the engine could power a generator to accomplish this. This technology already exists. I'm sure many of you have a generator already. Do away with most of the fancy electronics. We already have deep cycle marine batteries that are rechargeable over and over again. In this scenario one could potentially have a vehicle that gets incredible milage.I remember clearly when I was a kid we could fill up the homebuilt minibike for a quarter and ride all day. That was when my Dad wouldn't buy gas if it was over 30 cents/ gallon. I have other ideas if anyone is interested in reading them.
Tomcarman, it sounds to me like your idea of a gas engine to recharge the batteries enroute was done 20 years ago. It's called a Prius! The Chevy Volt is another example, just two of many. Your little Briggs powered generator would have to run day and night and still couldn't keep up! Don't forget; deep cycle marine batteries are out-dated, ancient technology with very limited range and long recharge times. You need lithium-ion batteries.
And don't be too quick to toss out those "fancy electronics"! They're there to handle things such as transitioning between regenerative braking and the wheel brakes, balancing power output from engine or batteries, regulating charge rate, keeping the batteries cool, and much more. 1910 technology is just way too inefficient now!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote