View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
Fe26

Default Re: A Neat Old Knock-Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
These local built commercial cabs were no more primitive looking than some made by independant US firms. Basically,a buyer wanted an A or AA chassis to work & little was expected for driver comfort or stylish design.
Many of the so called local cabs [ as in Australia also] had more leg room in them than the American 'phonebooth' cabs offered by Ford.
No company in NZ had the resources or time to manufacture complex curves so popular in the thirties, and yes, drivers in those days did it tough, particularly in the winter. Draughty cabs, and a blanket over your lap was about it for heating, oh! and gloves, don't forget your gloves.

As far as leg room goes; I wish my '36' had some. This bugger has nowhere near as much leg room as my American built '35' or the '38' Barrelnose I used to have. There's plenty of height, a guy seven foot tall could drive this (as long as his legs were short) and four guys could fit across the cab, as the sides have been extended out with wood panels about 5" each side. To add insult to injury the seat back is at 90 degrees to the seat and the seat base has very little in the way of padding. So I drive the bugger with my arse pushed back as far as the seat will allow and the upper half of my body hunched over the steering wheel. H'mmm maybe I should part the bloody thing out...
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote