Thread: Model A horns
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #32
wcolo

Default Re: Model A horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry494 View Post
Since there was considerable discussion about the Sparton tags, I'm posting a photo of a new old stock Sparton tag. It comes from a new old stock Sparton horn in like new condition. I'm sorry I don't have a repro tag for a side by side comparison. But, the repro tag has much redder writing on it and has much more shine overall with its brand new plating. The repro is a fine tag to use, but yes, the judges downgrade for them as repro.
I simply got lucky on this one, as my Coupe is a March 1930, and my friend's Tudor is January 1930, so he could not use this tag. When he compared the original tag to a repro, he decided to use a Stewart Warner and be done with the tag issue once and for all. I got the leftover nos horn. I plan on using the original tag for show. Sweet!

Dave Lopes
Dave, I have restored over 100 horns, most Spatons and Stewart/Warners. I have never run across a decent label on any of the un-restored Spartons I have either purchased or rebuilt for a customer. With this dilemma, a judge that deducts for a reproduction label is plain stupid or maybe senile. I know of no NOS labels available on earth, yours is the only one I have seen, does this mean this picky judge has access to NOS original labels, how does he know the difference, unless he restores horns and had NOS labels? Do they also deduct for a black, un-readible original label or are they acceptable?? With this judging mess, that leaves Stewart/Warners for cars to be judged and of course they must have deep factory stampings, I seen many examples of original not rusted very light factory stampings on S/W's and always AMES, will they deduct for this also?
Bennett
wcolo is offline   Reply With Quote