View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #15
hardtimes

Default Re: counterbalanced crankshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob keenan View Post
thoughts on a scat vs. burlington crank,also well made connecting rods
This subject, i.e.- crankshafts, including the ones that you name, has been discussed any number of times in the past here. If you can 'search' files for these discussions, IMO you will find a lot of input to your crank question.

As to rod use, a well known racer , a member of this forum, has said that he has used Ford's B rods in his race (B-ville) engines....and NEVER had a failure of these rods ! Enough said to use properly prepared Ford B rods with confidence, I'd say !

I've spoken to Tom Lieb of Scat a number of times regarding his crankshafts for our A/B engines. He does not make a full sized B crank and will not, he said.

You will get biased opinion on this subject, if giver is a crank rep, in my experience.

If you use an A block with drilled A sized crank, you will not be happy if and when if snaps. If may last a long time , if not drilled and not raced..your choice.

Years ago, I kept a file of pictures of snapped cranks. Mostly drilled A sized / puny rod throws. Most were raced, but not all. Everytime discussed, there was 'blowback' from crank reps, that they used them all the time without any such breakage. Seems that that has changed somewhat with experience ?

Good luck to you. You are doing the right thing by asking these questions before making expensive decisions.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote