View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #15
Licensed to kill

Default Re: When is a "Model A" no longer a "Model A"

I suspected that the opinions would be all over the map. That's OK. Personally, while i don't always understand (or like) what some people do to their cars, I support whatever it is if it makes them happy. However, I find it hard not to feel more than a bit sad when someone buys a nice restored stock car than proceeds to chop it and hot rod it. If you are going to do that I would like to see it be a car that was just pulled from the bush. Be that as it may, it IS their car and they are fee to do what they want with it. I have a variety. I have a '28 tudor that is chopped, on a TCI chassis, 327 Tri-power, TH350, ford 8", my truck (avatar), '31, 350/350, 8" ford rear, a '31 deluxe delivery still under construction that will be a "restomod" with a boxed frame, GM rear with triangulated 4 link, Mercedes 4cyl diesel/mercedes 4 spd with a 4" drop axle, split wish bone, 16" wire wheels, stock fuel tank and dash/gauges. Other than the lower stance and the wider wheels, it will LOOK stock inside and out. Then, of course, my '31 fordor that I am doing the engine in right now. Other than the added tail light and signals I want it left as stock as possible. When driving it (and I LOVE driving it), I want as much of the "model A" experience as i can get, warts and all right down to the bias ply tires. I call them all "model A's". I've had people give me grief for having a "chevy motor in a ford". When I ask to see THEIR Model A, of course, they don't have one. Besides, if your Model A has overhead valves, then Henry had no hand in it's design of manufacture so it's "ford" in name only and is no more appropriate than a SBC, Hemi or nailhead. I guess what prompted the question is that if a car has a modification that was NOT available at the time of manufacture, IE 12V electrical, it is modified and as such is in the same category as my chopped '28. JMO. People are fee to disagree and i will still respect their opinion no matter HOW different it is from mine.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote