View Single Post
Old 08-17-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Spindle Bushings

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Joe, let me say it this way. Let's just suppose that after he reams them, there is only 0.010" of an inch of bronze left until you encounter metal. My two questions are;
1) How long will it take to wear thru that 0.010" of remaining material if properly lubricated? Are we thinking 20k miles, 40k miles, -or 60k+ miles??

2) What are your expectations as far as longevity?? These bushings are a serviceable item much like tires, engine babbitt, oil, etc. where the is an expectation to be replaced at some point.

My personal take is if the Spindle Bolt and Bushings are kept lubricated with a quality grease, then the bushings will last a long, long time.

On a side note, the biggest issue that causes a bushing failure (-outside of lack of lubrication) is a poor job of fitting the pin. Hand Reamers, -especially dull ones, tend to chatter when they are rotated intermittently leaving a surface much akin to a saw tooth. This gives a false sense of fitment as the pin is being supported only by the microscopic high points of the bushing. Because of the lack of support, the pressure wears those high spots which allows for increased clearance. This is why honing to size is much superior to reaming.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote