View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #13
cadillac512

Default Re: My "new" 260 inch Merc is a BEAST!

A couple pics. The belt routing under the distributor and using early short pumps and crank pulley is a version of ideas by 'Ol Ron and another member here who gave me the idea of using an idler to lower the RH belt run to go under the distributor bowl. Works great!

The oil fill/pcv setup draws pcv from the fill tube while supply air enters the original road draft tube location through a gauze air filter mounted to a nipple brazed to a soft plug. This way the entire crankase bottom to top is ventilated. So far it's working well with no drawbacks. I have about 30 miles on the setup now after a short highway drive tonight.

The automatic choke (thanks tubman!) works nicely as well. The original Ford thermostatic controller hooks right up to the 2GV carb with a bent piece of brazing rod as a link.

I like the remote mount Baldwin bypass filter on the firewall. Gets it off the engine and allows a spin-on filter element which makes the change job less messy. It has an .053" orifice in the return line to sump.

I'm running on an electric pump right now...will likely get a proper 8BA mechanical on there soon. The center bolt in the cover plate is retaining a 7/16 bolt in the pump rod bushing to keep oil spatter out of the valley area for now.

Well, back to cleaning up the shop so we can put the daily driver's back in. Nice to have the Merc running again and in the "tuning phase".

Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg merc 260 driver side.jpg (67.8 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg merc 260 front.jpg (57.2 KB, 137 views)

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote