View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 09:15 PM   #13
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Still wont start

Sounds like you either have no gas going into the intake, or it has jumped time.
Check timing first as I described in previous reply.
For the fuel system, it seems to me you are trying to put the cart before the horse.
I would first drain gas tank and allow to air out until completely dry by laying it upside down in the sunlight over a couple of days (always put back in the garage during evening when temperature changes so that it will not collect condensation inside the tank).
Then seal the inside of the tank with gas tank sealer and allow to dry over several days. You may need to punch out the copper sock on the end of the pick-up tube (or keep a maintained compressed air flowing into the tube).
While the tank is drying, inspect exterior of gas line under the car. If it is badly rusted, replace the line with new metal tubing and brass compression couplings.
Remove fuel pump. Clean, test and repair or replace as needed.
Remove and blow out the carburator inlet tubing with compressed air and re-install or optionally replace it with new metal tubing.
After gas tank is dry, pour some gas in it and see if gas is draining out of the pick-up fitting at the front of the tank. If so, tank is ready to install. If not, you need to punch out the pick-up tube copper sock. Test again. Now you should be getting gas flowing out of the tank.
After tank is installed, fill it with about five gallons of gas. Go up to the flexible hose at the fuel pump, disconnect it and prime the fuel line from the fuel pump to gas tank till the tubing is full, then re-connect to the fuel pump. Next, prime the carburator fuel inline tubing with gas. Priming can be done using a small funnel and rubber hose attaching end of funnel to metal tubing.
Hopefully, you have a clear inline fuel filter in the line between pump and carb so you can see if gas is filling into the filter. You can also use a MityVac to suck the gas up from the tank to the carb. Reconnect fuel line to carb.
Next step is to prime carb float bowl. I dunno how to do it on a teapot style carb, but Sal Cicala can give you direction here.
Once all that is done and you know that your timing is right, the engine should start.
You may need to stomp the gas pedal down once to introduce a shot into the venturis before attempting to start. Make sure you have some choke on the carb too at first.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote