View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 10:47 PM   #5
Fordors

Default Re: my trip to Dearborn

I first went there in '72 and yes, the museum was daunting, there was just so much to take in. It you were interested in the development of industrial technology it certainly was the place to visit. I have not been there since 1979 but I think now with the renovation the museum would be more attractive to the average person.
Greenfield Village is just incredible, the attention to detail is staggering. Henry had something like six rail cars of soil from outside Edison's laboratory in Menlo Park excavated and brought to the Village because as the technicians on the second floor emptied bottles and containers they used to toss them out the windows. The Wright Bros bicycle shop, the desk where Webster compiled his dictionary, and much, much more and in many cases they are the actual structures, disassembled and moved.
One thing that my wife and I have regretted many times was not attending a period menu dinner in Sesquahanna House, an old tavern dating from 1670 or there about. I would not recommend going to the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village expecting to do both in one day, there is just too much to see.