View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #16
pgerhardt

Default Re: Buying an out of state car on the internet

My route to getting my current model A may be of interest to you.

When I wanted to get back in the hobby I was not a newbie, but I had been away from the hobby for over 40 years teaching science and raising two kids. When I retired and the kids were successfully "launched", it was time for me to find another model A.

I wanted an easy and safe way to ease back into the hobby. I contacted a local classic car dealer (Classic Motor Cars Of Ellington). I told them what I was looking for (a tudor sedan), and what I wanted to pay ($15K), and asked them to keep an eye out as they ran across model A's for sale. The dealer (Keith Clotter) would email me descriptions and pictures of cars he thought I would like. It came down to two cars; a maroon 1930 tudor, and a green 29 tudor. Keith said he thought the green 29 was the better car, and I went with it, giving him a deposit and committing to buy it from him after an in person inspection. Once he had the 29 tudor at his dealership I drove up to Ellington to test drive the car, and buy it. I know I could most likely gotten the car for less if I bought it directly from the previous owner, but in my case I was more interested in the convenience and ease of mind that working with an experienced dealer gave me.

They delivered to car to my door already registered to me, and ready for me to start having fun. I drove it for the first summer as it was. As I became more familiar with it, I decided to re-restore it to bring it up to a level I would be happy with.

For me working with a professional, if more expensive, was the way to go.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote