View Single Post
Old 08-18-2023, 07:47 PM   #20
rjlester

Default Re: Ford Overdrive Solenoid 6 Volt or 12 Volt ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Mine has NEVER worked in 2nd gear for some reason. Had a time or two where OD in 2nd gear would have been handy.

FYI; using mine on a Model-A
Hey Gene,

I don't profess to be an expert on these OD transmissions (yet) as I've only been using one for over a year. However, I do remember when I first installed my OD, it would not work in second gear. The governor I used at that time was a 4 screw cover(out of a 53 Dodge). I took it apart, and it had a way to "adjust" the kick in speed. If I remember it right, there was a flat metal part that would bend under stress from the weights and would make the electrical connection. There was two notches for it (sorry I don't have pictures) and one of them made it engage at a lower speed, on my car with 3.54 gears it was around 35mph instead of around 45mph. It was much better, but I've since switched to a governor meant for the ford trans. (3 screw cover) It engages about 25 mph which is excellent and I love the OD shift in second gear.

I'm curious, do you know what rear gearing you have? That would affect what rpm the governor engages, but also, you may be able to adjust your governor if it's the 4 screw design. I don't recall if the 3 screw unit was adjustable or not.

Hope this helps.
rjlester is offline   Reply With Quote