View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 12:51 AM   #1
Lawrie

Default removing head studs

Any one in the process of removing the head studs ,I thought you would like to know my most successful method used today.
I have 48 stuck ones to remove, my usual way was to try the stud removal tool until the studs broke off,then,as you know its a real pain.
I had tried tig welding a flat washer onto the busted flush stud,then welding a nut onto the washer,and use the rattle gun to get them out,at best a 50% success rate,and very easy to damage the thread or block face.
Heating the stud and try the stud extracted when cool,25% success rate.
Today, 24 from 24, one I had to do twice but all came out.
This is my method, cut the studs off with a cutoff wheel and 4in angle grinder about 5/8 above the block face,get all the old head nuts,drill them out to 7/16,and face off one side of the nut so as to have a nice clean surface to weld to, slip the nuts over the cut off studs and knock down to the block face,THEN tig weld the cut off stud to the nut.
do all 24 on that side,squirt some oil under the nut and onto the stud in the block,
when they are cooled,get the rattle gun onto them ,don’t use the highest setting unless they won’t move,but all mine did,.
One Pain of a job done.
I can rest easy tonight,knowing the other 24 will be as easy.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote