View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 02:36 AM   #17
apbright

Default Re: Love our new mitchell overdrive

A lot has been written on other threads (and in other publications) about the merits of the Mitchell overdrive, and I would disagree with none of it. That said, here's another 2¢:

While in principle higher top-speeds could be achieved with ever narrower rear-end ratios (3.07:1 anyone?), I think my own real love derives from peculiarities of any (near) stock Model A engine. The comparatively long stroke of the Model A crankshaft, to my understanding, means it has a relatively narrow useful range of rpm. A stock engine is done at 2500 rpm, and other than overhead valve conversions, significant modifications (counterweighted crankshaft, high compression heads, high-flow/Weber carburetors, modern dizzy's, pressurized oil sys.), don't really extend that range much beyond 3000. Versus a modern engine, this narrowness really motivates a five or six-speed transmission, the latter being what a Mitchell OD ultimately provides. On my everyday drives, when starting from a red light, I always go 1st, 2nd, 2nd+OD, and then into 3rd. Going up very steep hills (e.g. Nob Hill in SF), 1st + OD is more than just showing off. I'm sure I could hack a modern VW six-speed with enough welding, custom casting, etc., but if I would do all of that, why not swap out the engine for 200kg of Lithium-Ion batteries, and the Banjo Housing for a 100hp electric motor? (Actually, the State of California, bless it, may force me to do that some day...)

As for that additional transmission stick: Yes, when having two passengers in the front seat, if one of them isn't a small child, it does require an additional exertion of nimbleness so as not to accidentally fondle that passenger immediately to one's right - especially if it is your employee's charming British wife after the company Christmas party. Having made it though that without becoming Silicon Valley's latest #MeToo poster child, is, well, yet another #ModelA_Moment.

Last edited by apbright; 12-19-2018 at 02:54 AM.
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote