View Single Post
Old 01-21-2022, 05:30 PM   #24
Shoebox

Default Re: Thoughts/Opinions on Piston Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desoto291Hemi View Post
Ross makes an excellent piston,,,,,,well worth the money,,,,,if you need it .
Any real high performance application would definitely benefit from them .

For a stock type rebuild,,,,,cast are more than enough ,,,,,maybe 120 horsepower?
Even 150 hp,,,,,,although I can’t imagine a stock type rebuild making that much power.
Cast are good to about 400 HP .

Egge makes an excellent product,,,,,a very good quality cast piston.
I bought their 4 ring pistons and plan on only running 3 rings with them .
They were about half the cost of the Ross,,,,,I bought the factory type rings too .

Saved a lot of money,,,,,,but still have quality parts,,,,at least for my application .

I’m sure the metric rings are great in a race engine,,,,,,,you would never know it on the street ,,,,,complete overkill .
Also,,,,,,for a stock type rebuild,,,,,,,boring with deck plates will never be appreciated.
Just more money,,,,and you will never realize any power increase.

Again,,,,I’m talking about a stock type engine,,,,not a race mill .

Tommy

Tommy,
I don't disagree with a single thing you've said. Sometimes one does something more than what's needed,....just because you can.

My engine is no race engine, but I guess I have been short on details. Got a nice 8BA block that will be 3 5/16x 4,new rods, two new 97's on Offy manifold and Offy heads. PETE ground me an awesome Isky 1007B cam and original Johnson lifters. One of the 97's has ported vacuum, will use that with my Bubba modified Chev dist. I use ARP studs because I like them, don't need to, but I do.
I won't order pistons till we're in the machine shop and until then going to keep an open mind. As mentioned earlier, I saw some 3 ring hypereutectic pistons in Speedway catolog, we'll see.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote