Thread: Radio Speaker
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #14
RalphG

Default Re: Radio Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Yours is a 52' Merc and mine is a 53' Merc, so the radios should be the same. Hook the radio up to a 6 vole battery and use alligator clips with two wires from the plug to the radio to the two connectors on the speaker. Pick any old car speaker you might have around the house that still work. You will need to hook up an antenna to get a station. I have attached a picture. If it is going to work when you turn it on the vibrator will begin to hum, wait for it and see if you get a station. The tubes and vibrator are all still available. Tube chart attached. Bottom line is what I have found is that if the speaker is too big for the radio it just won't power it, but that said I have never found a car speaker that it hasn't worked with. You may have to turn up the volume but it still worked. Once you get the radio working, your next project:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182556
Merccruzer, thanks for those tips and I remember reading that interesting account of yours when you first posted it here. I think my radio was "running when parked" many years ago and hopefully time will not have wreaked havoc with the radio internals. SUpposed to be a rainy weekend here so I might get in some shop time. The radio is still in place and I only have to hook up a power wire and connect to a working speaker.
If that does not work I can always put some batteries in my fifties vintage RCA transistor radio and use that. :=)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote