View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #142
DavidG

Default Re: 1933 can't start after recent restart

It sounds like the sheared teeth on the timing gear are next to the mating gear on the crankshaft itself, which of course makes perfect sense, i.e. no teeth, no engagement of the timing gear.

At this point I recommend that you not attempt to rotate the timing gear as you risk altering the valve timing, adding one more thing to your "to do" list associated with replacing the timing gear. The next step is to remove the front timing gear cover in order to access the entire timing gear to permit its replacement. (The other next step is to buy a new timing gear. They are same as that used on Model As and are readily available from Model A part suppliers. Originally they came in two sizes, standard and +.004 oversize to compensate for wear on the steel gear on the crankshaft.) I have no idea about the quality of today's replacements as I use NOS or NORS timing gears, but you should pose that question on the Model A portion of the "Barn".

While you're shopping for a new timing gear, look also for the special wrench or socket for a wrench for the very large special nut on the front of the timing gear where it is attached to the camshaft. Hopefully you'll have to do this job once, but the right tool for this job makes it easy and anything else either doesn't work or screws up the special nut to the point where it needs to be replaced.

Lastly, when you remove the front timing gear cover be aware that there is a spring-loaded camshaft thrust plunger (Ford's nomenclature) which may or may not need replacement, but either way it must be re-assembled in the front cover when you re-attach the cover to the cylinder block.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)