View Single Post
Old 10-24-2019, 08:09 PM   #11
barnstuf

Default Re: IL-2 and AA collison

Railcarmover and Ursus in their above comments hit the nail on the head. I was there as a United States Army Air Force soldier and was in an area of Germany assigned to the Soviet Union to be their Army of Occupation territory. Russian Infantry soldiers for the most part marched informally or rode bikes they liberated. They checked every farmhouse near the road in the rural area where my unit met them marching in. They took chickens to eat, bikes to ride. The only Russian vehicles I saw were the Model AA stake body trucks. Without us asking for help the Russian soldiers pitched in to help us get our very large C2 wrecker out of the river where it was too heavy for a pontoon bridge and was partly submerged in the river. Once the C2 was out of the river we drove for miles in the Russian Occupation Zone to reach the American zone . We had zero problems with the Russian infantry troops we encountered for around 75 miles of driving. My European service was in the US Army Infantry and the US Army Air Force.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote