View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #12
rotorwrench

Default Re: pinion deph shims

I've looked at my used sets and they're the Timkens made for Ford since they have the script on there. I read your previous post Lawrie and I can see what you are referring to. There are different manufacturers of R&P gear sets out there over time and they are not exact copies of OEM Ford. Your method of measuring pinion depth is as good as any for this design so I'll keep my old ones for that purpose. More modern axles generally have tools for this purpose but the Banjo, not so much.

Fabricating shims to fit against the pinion quill land and inner bearing would push the pinion further in toward the center line of the of the ring gear and a shim between the dual cup and the land down in the banjo housing would force the built up pinion assembly farther away from the center of the ring gear if necessary.

I'm curious as are others how you fabricate your shims since they would likely need to be custom made.

I've used the lathe to cut shims from a piece of pipe or shaft stock then surface grind them to fit the thickness and keep them concentric. Is this how you do it?

Last edited by rotorwrench; 03-11-2019 at 06:22 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote