View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Dimensioned drawing of flathead V8 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
Thanks for responses. The “dead stop” method and the two piston method I mentioned are very similar in sensitivity. The latter is best explained by the attached instructions and drawing from the Victor Page book I previously mentioned. I have tried both methods and they gave exactly the same result.

The reason I am requesting to see if anyone has the engineering drawings is to see if the previously mentioned two bolt distributor and three bolt distributor static timing methods (using a ruler) can be confirmed from the drawings – which would mean that setting initial timing via these methods is as per the design by Henry’s engineers – and no need to take a head off! Even if I can’t confirm via engineering drawings, I will use this method.

Roger
Interesting. If one of the objectives is to locate TDC without removing a head, you can insert something into the cylinder through the spark plug opening that will act as a dead stop. It is a little harder to get repeatable results, but if you check it several times you can get an accurate reading. Once you have TDC established you should be able to test the distributor operation with a timing light on the engine and see what is going on.

I realize what you want is the engineering drawing, but I have no idea how to come by that short of the Ford archives and it still may not contain what you are looking for. So, was suggesting some alternative approaches while you search.

Last edited by JSeery; 01-21-2016 at 10:27 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote