View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Flathead Overbore/Size Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Let me throw this out there: Assume you go out to .125 and use a metric ring pack and hone with a torque plate. Use quality oil and a filter, etc.

All the best machine work and you need to rebore many years down the road. Assuming the walls don't lose thickness do to rust, etc. is there a next "common" piston size between .125" v. 3/8ths?

By "common" I mean one that is not custom build.
Realistically in our world I doubt anyone would wear out any bore size. The amount of miles it would take to wear out a block is beyond what any of us will do. Heck even my high mileage cross country drives and decades of use the bores in my block are still fine. The use of modern low tension rings which have been available for a long time helps greatly as well.

Tim to answer your question no common size is available between the two diameters you listed however Im sure Egge machines piston sets in say 3- 5/15 plus .020 oversize would not be a lot of money compared to their standard size 3-5/16 pistons.
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote