View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 06:01 AM   #17
Synchro909

Default Re: Gas Gauge Calibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary678* View Post
30 and 31 gas tanks hold 11 gallons. I adjusted the float so that at empty I have approx. 1 1/2 gallons remaining. I also went to a specialty auto paint store and told the tech that I wanted to paint a 1/4" red stripe at the "empty" line on the floating gauge so that I could easily read empty while driving (I'm 75 years old) and know that I have a reserve. He mixed up a 1 oz. vial ($10) of gas resistant paint and said that after painting let it sit at room temperature and cure for 30 days before installing in the gas tank; I followed his advise. After 2 plus years the line is as clear as day. Although this will deduct points in a judging it gives me piece of mind while driving (I'm not into judging). A footnote: a Model A friend of mine borrowed my paint and painted his gauge but reinstalled it a few days later; the paint quickly dissolved.
If you were to have it judged, just have enough fuel in it so the empty mark is hidden!!