Thread: Modern Radials
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Modern Radials

There is no one and no tire made that can give you 100% assurance that you will not have a road problem when driving on long distance trips and in remote areas. I don't have any experience with radials on '42-'48 Ford sedans, but I can tell you I have run Diamondback smoothed black wall radials (550x16 fronts mfg'd by Michelin and 750x16 rears by Yokohma) on stock '35 wire wheels, 4" wide rims, for over 20k miles. These tires were on my '35 fordor (Avatar car) for many long distance trips, including a 7,200 mile cross country tour in 2013. The only thing required in that 20k miles was occasionally adding a little air. Last spring I removed the Diamondbacks and installed Coker 600Rx16 www tires front and rear for the shows I planned to attend. These tires are also mounted on stock '35 wire wheels and probably have ~ 7k miles including a 1900 mile trip to Illinois last summer.
My experience with both sets of radials has been improved steering, ride and overall handling as compared to the bias ply tires that were on this car previously.
If I were on a trip through Canada and Alaska (which I hope to do someday), I would not hesitate to use either set of radial tires on my car.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote