View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 12:22 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Long distance buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonDays View Post
What options are available for purchasing a car thousands of miles away? Short of traveling to see the car what other options are available? In the past I have hired an experienced person to inspect the car, but that ended with the experienced person buying the car out from under me. Any thoughts would be great.

That guy was a scumbag. I had something similar happen to me back in the 80's. I found a good buy on an antique car, but didn't have all the cash to buy it. I asked a friend to go half, and we'd split the profit. He went that night and bought it for himself, and resold it a few days later. Hopefully you can find an honest guy the next time.

Almost 20 years ago I did an inspection on a 29 Phaeton for a guy in NYC. I drove 100 miles round trip, spent 3 hours going over every detail, took lots of notes, and dozens of pictures. I emailed my full report and pictures along with my appraisal of the value, and he was glad to pay $95, as it saved him a trip to MN. He decided it wasn't original enough for his wants, so he passed on it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote