View Single Post
Old 11-19-2021, 09:03 PM   #36
Synchro909

Default Re: Cost of Running Burtz Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
NO SMALL BLOCK CHEVIES!!! How did you get so lucky.
Just Kidding. I'm curious tho. What do the Hot Rodders use for engines?? I know a few guys are running Y-Block Fords.
Y, Not being a hot rodder wanting to insert a different engine, I don't know what they use - could be anything. That said, there are those who say that my Model A is a hot rod even though it has the original motor.
From what I can see, regulations relating to what modifications can be made to a car are very much more stringent here. For example, with our Model As, if the engine is more than 25% more powerful than the original, the car has to be assessed by an automotive engineer and passed as complying with the regs. Such a car is considered a new build and so must comply with modern requirements like windscreen washers, two (at least) speed wipers, seat belts, collapsible steering column and brake tests that a Model A could not hope to pass with standard wheels and there are restrictions on what wheels can be substituted, even if we could get them. I have never seen a 16" wheel here other than ones recently imported from the US, for example. Try fitting a retractable lap/sash seat belt to an open car!
Many of the cars on your roads would be allowed here without upgrades. I have a friend who has been looking for a 1933 or 34 Ford. He says that sellers over there can't understand when they say their car has this or that motor in it (other than the original) and it is an instant deal breaker.