View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #199
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

After 32 years plus (maybe more ) of not shifting the Columbia Two Speed Axle I removed the Two Speed Vacuum Canister from Axle and replaced the gasket. I also found the leather wiper/piston was folded in a small area of piston. Cleaned up the canister inside and out. Wiped leather wiper/piston with motor oil, then MMO and closed back up with new gasket. I added small tie wraps to all new vacuum rubber flex hoses for better seal. ( added MMO to the hoses so it would coat lines and system ) Jacked up the car and placed on jack stands, started car and placed in 3RD gear and it worked, ( little grind on stands ) Took car off stands and out to the highway. Took me a little time to find all the correct positions of knob while driving but this is what I found. After getting to about 40 to 45 MPH pull out overdrive knob and push clutch pedal in and gentle release clutch. (goes in overdrive ) You must leave the overdrive knob out will driving and then when ready to change back to direct drive push knob in and push clutch in and release and it works perfect for me.
Friend of mine is going to video next drive, we are in the high 70's today and calling for snow flakes Saturday, running out of good weather and time. I have to say that 39 LZ is now the best road car I have now, Great Ride and speed! Cannot imagine going from a 31 Model A to a 39 Lincoln, like going to the moon in the Day.
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote