View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #192
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

I came home today and oiled speedometer again, tried the little piece of speedo cable, not much happened. Went down to Don P. garage today and he gave me a stub piece of speedocable. I chucked it in cordless drill. Had to hold on to speedo tight and I ran drill slow, watching gears as I turned. The needle did not move. I looked at the worm gear on side and looked in a bind. Backed drill up and forward, more oil on everything. I rocked small gears with my finger. Started drill again and looked to see if needle was moving and now it was, great but real stiff cable drive. Added more oil and sped up drill motor and held there for about 30 secs. This really helped, the speedo is so free now I can move cable with two fingers. I ran until the odometer recorded a mile. I think the little odometer wheels are/were stuck together. Anyway the speedo works and the odometer at least works, cannot set trip meter to zero??? The reason I went to DON P.'s was to fix my broken cooling fan assembly on the 39LZ engine. I have given up on the super adhesive, called the company Bill W. suggested and they wanted $105.00 for the material. Not a guarantee it would work and lots of prep work involved. Next Don and I studied the Ken in Alabama suggestion of placing a couple of nice welds on back of hub, we shot that down. Next we decided to drill hub and fan assembly and tap the hub. This worked out well and I will install tomorrow. I came back from Don's and media blasted the fan assembly and painted. THANKS DON FOR THE HELP!!!!
Lay out of holes to drill

Two parts pressed together so we could drill smaller hole to tap, next photo of larger hole for bolt to pass through

Drilling hub

Don P. tapping the fan assembley

Complete, next I media blasted and painted
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote