View Single Post
Old 06-29-2019, 09:53 PM   #33
bdtutton

Default Re: I think my exhaust valves are burnt

I tried all kinds of options to clean the carbon and found that just soaking everything with good old WD40 and scraping a little got off the rust and most of the carbon. I sprayed the head with WD40 a couple of times and scrubbed it with one of those scotch pad kitchen scrubbing pads. I then took it out in the yard and sprayed the head with a hose to clean everything off and it looks almost brand new. New respect for WD40.
The head bolts actually look pretty good so I decided to spray them with WD40 and run a nut up and down the threads to make sure they are clean. I am planning to use brand new head nuts because they are cheap and the old ones have some rust on them.
I found the engine had been bored out to 3.975", but the bore is smooth and round and the engine was not burning a drop of oil so I am not going to touch it. If I ever have a problem I will just have it re-sleeved back to the original bore size.
The 2 valves I am having a problem with were not really burnt, they look more like they were just poorly lapped in when they were installed. (Yes, it has hardened seats.) I thought about just re-lapping the two valves, but they also wobble a little like the valve guides are worn, so I plan to replace them all and lap them in properly.
Will report progress....
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote