View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
ktgarcia

Default Vapor lock question

I have contacted some FordBarn members and read most of the comments about installing an electric fuel pump to compensate for the vapor lock that can occur while using just the mechanical fuel pump.

Some members say to install a relay. Some have said to wire the electric to a toggle switch and others have said wiring it to the ignition switch so you don’t forget to turn off the toggle and run the battery down.

With the installation of a toggle switch, I assume (you know what that means) you leave the manual pump in place. Some of you members have said you need to gut the mechanical leaving the push rod and just use the electric to avoid the vapor lock problem. Others have commented that they use the electrical pump to override the mechanical pump when the vapor lock occurs or after sitting.

With so many different solutions that members have done and been successful, I am trying to sort them all out and use the best solution for solving my vapor lock problem.

I am thinking of putting an electric pump near the gas tank, wiring it to a relay through the ignition switch, and leaving the mechanical pump in place. If there is something wrong with my thinking I would appreciate any additional comments that members might have.

Thanks to all of you that have responded to me and others who have added their comments on the Forum.

I just wonder if the mechanical pump can’t keep vapor lock from occurring, then how can the electric pump ‘push’ gas through the mechanical pump to compensate for the vapor lock that has occurred at the carburetor.

Any suggestions or corrections to my thinking will be helpful.
ktgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote