View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 09:32 AM   #49
Corley

Default Re: The Restorer needs to fact check its articles!!!

Wait, you may have missed the point of these tech articles. You may never reach 100% accuracy in everyone's mind, but bringing up different ideas a talking points is really what it is all about.

I don't think modern points or original points is the best way to go FOR ME. However, I enjoyed the thoughts and ideas presented in the article, and found it generally educational. Personally, I did not find a ton of errors in the article, as some of you assert. Some of you complained about his specifieing the bronze material. Well, I know that some really soft materials that look like brass or bronze are used as points in some hit n miss engine magnitos I've worked on, so this would not surprise me, but that doesn't matter, the point was that there are different quality of materials available. Some comp!aimed about making any modification to a model A, because apparently Henry got it all as good as it could be the first time. Maybe you need to consider all the other changes you have made to your As. Or better yet, maybe you just need to get rid of all your newer cars and drive only model As, since a totally stock A is as good as it gets. While I don't contend this modification is for everyone, if you are going to make it, the author has raised so salient points for you to consider.

Some of you made fun of the author suggesting to zip tie your bumper if you have the crappy cast bumper clamps. I bet that the club member whose bumper fell off and got run over and ruined on our tour would have loved to have those zip ties. Had he read that article prior to running over his bumper, her could have perhaps saved several hundred dollars of grief and countless embarasment, as we don't let him forget The incident. The point of that article being; You may not be aware, but there are some junk bumper clamps out there guys, and here is at least SOMETHING you can do until you replace them with better quality forged clamps.

Some have suggested that this article was written for profit alone. How wrong you are. Not only is there no pay for submitting articles, there is no reward, especially when this sort of abuse is piled on the author. I know this author personally, and he is a very knowledgeable person, with much higher qualifications in the automotive and machine fields than most of us could think of. He is also a man of honor, who has contributed so very much of his time and knowledge to this endevour. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves for piling on as you have. Sure, one or two minor points of one of two of his articles may not line up with you opinions, and the very occational fact may be disputed, but to treat a fellow model Aer like this is shameful.

Please try to be curtious and thoughtful of others before attacking in this manner. And if you feel the magazine articles are nothing but crap, why do you read them, you obviously know it all anyway, and have your mind made up without them. Give a guy a break!!!
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote