View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #48
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: The Restorer needs to fact check its articles!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyinUtah View Post
I have used both type of points in all m
y model a cars. If the so called modern points were such junk as Kevin states why was auto industry selling many million cars over 30 years with this type points.
Brake down on the road and try and purchase original type points. It won't happen.
Please read and think before you write!!!!

I have not said the modern points are junk. The are not needed and the new plate is not as accurately made like the factory plate. It is a solution to a non existent problem and is probably a good profit point for the people who sell them. Just like the alternators.

I did state modern condensers are not as good as you might hope. That is a different story. The points, designed in the 1950's, work great. I mean really what are points but a frame to hold 2 pieces of tungsten and a wear block. A very very simple and reliable design. They only suffer from low cost units that use low quality wear blocks and tungsten. It is likely the new design were simpler to install on the line reducing labor costs. They were not changed because they were more reliable, they were changed because Ford could make more money with them.

Now I was very clear the reproduction plate is not as good as the original. You do know the plate uses the center hole as the bearing and this hole must be tight on the dist? Ford ground the hole to size. The repro is just stamped steel and will be loose to begin with and then wear some till it is flat making it looser.

I am sorry, but the break down on the road comment is just not realistic.

How many cars have ever broken down on the road where the points needed to be changed? I have never had the problem and I have a lot of miles on the road with point based cars. Condensers, coils yes, points NO.

Points are small if you are that paranoid carry a spare used set. Heck I have a jar of em, you could carry 10 points and not even notice.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote