View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #34
RockHillWill

Default Re: I could not sit idle, have a new project

I have just gotten the wood pieces for the gas tank buck back from the waterjet guy and have started on building the gas tank. It will be made from .100 #3003H14 aluminum. Probably welded with #1100 filler rod.

This buck is much simpler than the other two that I just finished for the nose and the tail. I am making the tank in two external pieces and four internal pieces (baffles). The outside will be made of the front, bottom and rear in one "U" shaped piece and the LS, top and RS piece also in a "U" shape, but turned 90 degrees to the other. I have radiused the edges of the buck at the welding 'seam' so that the seam joints will be butt welded rather that corner welded.

The inside has inter-locking baffles with pass-thru holes at the bottom for levelizing the gas content. The filler nozzle and the gas gauge will go in the center forward 'cubicle', and the gas will exit the tank at the right front corner thru a large OD aluminum welding bung with 3/8" NPT threads.

The tank is mounted at the rear of the car just under the rear body panel, and the gas will be gravity fed just like the original Model A setup, with the fuel line going to the front firewall, then to the sediment bowl and then to the two updraft carburetors.

3wc39 001.jpg

3wc38 007.jpg

3wc40 001.jpg

3wc40 002.jpg

3wc40 006.jpg

3wc40 009.jpg