View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #20
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: How Was It Done?

This is where it is real cool to review and study the Assembly Plant Bill of Sales (APBOS) to dealers or even personal customers. I have never seen one of these from Denver but I am sure they are out there somewhere.

However, I have seen a lot more from other branches and the data is quite interesting if one takes the time to compile and study it.

For instance Omaha, Nebraska, which is in the middle of the USA (more or less), started production of assembled Model A/AA Fords May 7, 1928 according to newspaper reports. However, I have 4 APBOS showing vehicles being sold starting in February 1928 from this plant. These may have been "assembled cars for its (Omaha) territory from branches at St. Louis (March 15-April 15, 1928 (anyone with a more precise opening date?) and Kansas City (January 27, 1928)".

In 1928 the AVERAGE days to sale of a Model A/AA Ford was 13 days from the time the engine was stamped at Dearborn to the time it was sold to a dealer within the sales area of the Omaha plant. The least amount of time was 8 days and the most amount of time was 22 days. Over 18 vehicles recorded.

In 1929 the average was about 7 days. The least amount of time was 2 days, the most amount of time was 15 days over 105 vehicles recorded. An interesting note here is that the last 3 recorded in 1929 (which were not in the 105 above) show an average of 52 days. This could of been due to several factors in that the plant probably closed down for awhile to gear up for the 1930 models...who knows for sure?

Just the average of January thru March 1929 over 24 vehicles was 8 days.

In 1930 and 1931, the time increased (Havent computed those times yet).

SO...if anyone has a stack of these Assembly Plant Bill of Sales for which you could send me for recording purposes, please contact me at [email protected]. I know they are out there...anyone?

All of this information about the assembly plants will be in my upcoming books: Part 1...Those passenger Model A Fords; Part 2: Those commercial Model A Fords; and Part 3...Those Model AA Ford Trucks showing the production numbers of each vehicle/assembly plant according to Ford's YEARLY and MONTHLY Assembly Record Type documents.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 05-27-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote