View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
miker98038

Default Re: 1939-52 toploader behind a Y-block?

My 55 bird, with a y block of course, came with a T-86 BW, with the R-10 O/D. Later model cars and trucks used the T-85 with the R-11 O/D. I think the T-85 was the standard trans all the way to the 406 motors, with the T-10 4 speed an option. The T-85's are bullet proof behind a Y block untill you get to full race motors and big tires. They are also bigger, more expensive, and harder to find.

Some truck bell housings were different, made to take the granny low 4 speeds. I don't know if a standard 3 sp will bolt up, but someone here will know.

Both these trans were available with different ratios and in different lengths, I think, and possibly different rear mount positions. I'm no expert, but there is quite a lot of info out there. Here, the HAMB, and Y-blocksforever.

That said, a T-86 R-10 unit will probably take enough torque to break anything earlier than a Dana 44 or a 9 inch rear end. Both came behind the Y's, and junkyards were where we got parts in those days, so period correct.

I don't remember floor shifts being so popular till the early 60's. Certainly not at my income level. We managed to cobble up the 3 on the tree. But early shifters still show up on evilbay. The first one I could afford was the Hurst Mystery Shifter ("it's a mystery how we made it so affordable"), in about '67. Dragfast comes to mind, or something like that, lots of cheaper shifters before and after Hurst took over the market.

With a 27-28 inch tire, and the O/D, rear gears ranged from 3:55 or so in V8's, to 4:27 or so with a 6 cyl wagon. Maybe even higher numerically in the cars.

My first 55 bird, with a .060 312, 11.25 to 1 pistons, and an RPM 300 cam, ran real nice on 27.5" recaps (off Dad's car), with the 4:27 Dana from a junk yard wagon. Back in the 60's.

Hope this helps, or at least gives a start on your research. I've got a Y in a '32, and it's always good to see a Y, instead of the sbc.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote