View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
DougVieyra

Default How Many Model A's are left ?

I am wondering if anyone has come up with a recent calculation as to how many Ford Model A's are left.

Several years ago, I made my own 'Ball Park' guess-timation: MAFCA has about 14,000 members, MARC has about 11,000 members, with maybe, two thousand over-lapping members. That would be roughly 23,000 members of the two National clubs. Somewhere, long ago, I read a survey that indicated that there were an average of three Model A's per member. Some guys are sensible with just one car - others with less self-control - with 3, 4, 5 or more. But three cars was the average at that time.

Using those old figures, 3 times 23,000 would be somewhere in the 'ball park' of 70,000 Ford Model A's. Then there are all those Model A owners who have no club affiliation with either MARC or MAFCA. Just how many is anyone's guess, but less say another 5,000 who are just not 'joiners'. At three cars each, that adds another 15,000 cars to the previous 70,000, for a total of 85,000 Ford Model A's.

IF this number is anywhere close to the actual (forever unknown) number, then it would make for a fairly impressive survival rate of the 5 million or so Ford Model A's that were made between 1928 and 1931. (Yes, I know that production began in late 1927 and ended in early 1932).

Because my first 'old car' was a 1928 Chevrolet, and I am also a student of Automotive history, I am familiar with the fact that in 1928 Chevrolet sold significantly more cars than Ford; and for the four years of Model A production, Chevrolet had pretty much matched Ford production. So where are all those Chevrolets ? Dumb question - please don't answer.

So, I would like to get other opinions and input to this question of " How Many Model A's are left ? "
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote