View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 11:53 PM   #12
Aarongriffey

Default Re: Silicone brake fluid

I replaced all five brake cylinders in my F1 pickup in January 2000.
Have not added or changed it yet.
I must change it soon. Twenty years is too long to not change it.
I have never had a problem with any car that I have put DOT 5 in.
However, I never change a cra over to Dot 5 unless I first change all 5 cylinders.
That stuff will leak like nothing you ever used before.
I never NEVER overhaul a cylinder that has been leaking. Never.
I will lightly hone and put new seals in a cylinder that shows no sign of leaking or weeping.
New cylinders are very inexpensive, especially on the cars we are discussing on this forum.

Changing back to Dot 3 or 4 is not that difficult. If you leave a little dot 5 in the system it won’t hurt a thing.
I’ve changed at least twenty old Fords over to DOT 5 and never had a problem with any of them. When they tell you it is too hard to bleed systems with dot 5 it’s time to stop listening to that guy.
I’ve replaced all brake lines and cylinders and used one pint to bleed the system and leave the master cylinder full. More than once.
But, I put a 1950 lever type stop light switch under the brake pedal of every car and truck that I use dot 5 in. They are for GMC and Chevy cars and trucks from around ‘50 or earlier to maybe ‘54 or later.
They come in both right and left sides the lever is on. I have never found a parts store that didn’t have one or both.
Aaron Griffey
Hayward, CA
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote