View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #17
dixiedelux

Default Re: Chatter Rod Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Here is a Photo of a properly installed "Anti Chatter Rod" from below.

The second photo is a 1937 Ford chatter rod, special flathead square hole bolt, washer and custom made tool.

Third photo shows the two chatter rod holes on top of the frame. If you have the trans cover off, then they are accessible. The left chatter rod hole can be seen just left of the clutch spring. The right chatter rod hole can be seen just above the dog ear of the rear trans mount (it is counter sunk and appears as a dish-shaped hole).

You can access the chatter rod bolts from the top.

If you have something different, then you should post photos so the members can help you.
Those are very good illustrations, Tony. Let me preface my situation. My 40 has a top loader tranny out of an earlier ford, 39 I hope. The previous owner told me he put in a new front floor. I have the tranny inspection plate, along with the toe boards removed. The rod attachment is a fingers length outside of the transmission inspection plate opening. To make it accessible, some floor board needs removed. To do that welds need to be eliminated. Did the PO put in the wrong floor system in? I don't know! I have the engine out now. And it was an ordeal I never want to do again! And Fords engine stay rods can be shoved up Henry's ass!
dixiedelux is offline   Reply With Quote