Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #26
DougVieyra

Default Re: Tires

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I totally agree with contrarian Tom Wessenberg in post #15, and posts 13,16,17, 24, etc.
There have been 17 anadocial negative comments about using 'old' tires, due to 'age'. That leaves 47 million others who are less concerned and more likely to base their decision on physical evidence of a tires visual and physical 'health', and over-all soundness of condition. In a large number of instances, even though the tire may have some unknown amount of years to its life, the over-all safety should be based on the tires actual physical condition. Very often there is no structural reason to reject such tires.
I do agree, if you plan on racing in the Daytona race, that it would be prudent to put a brand new set of tires on your car. If you are using your "touring engine" and its over-drive and speed down the freeway at 65 - 70 mph, then too a set of new tires would be called for - just to provide a prudent amount of extra caution.
However, if you are doing what the majority of Model A drivers do, 'putts' around town and slow country roads, rarely passing the 55 mph speed, then I would say the tires you purchased would be very safe.
I have seen tires that are only 2 years old and I would not want them on my car. I also have inspected tires that are twenty years old, and I would not hesitate a minute to put them on my car.
Too many people are subject to the 'safety' directions of the makers and sellers of a product. Tires are no different. However, from an imperiacle view based on actual evidence, a great many people act from fear rather than objectivity. That is the whole purpose of 'selling fear' in an 'aggressive marketing' campaign to sell a product. The evidence of such a marketing ploys success can be found on the above posts found herein.
I have not seen your tires, so would not make a judgement until doing so. However, based solely on your description I would hazard a guess that you tires are perfectly sound and worth putting on your car. Unless you drive over 55 mph on a regular basis.
Okay, now let the naysayers begin their 'howling' .

Last edited by DougVieyra; 05-20-2017 at 12:46 AM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote