View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 08:17 AM   #3
Joe K

Default Re: The dreaded death wobble

Sadly, I would look for a bent front axle.

For the DIY mechanic, this means a complete tear down to axle beam, and then replacement after straightening the axle by means/methods given in the literature.

Some have advocated bring the Model A to a "Big Truck Shop" who are acquainted with solid beam front axles. Few and far between in today's age and you can be sure that they will get their piece of your wallet since you're occupying shop space normally devoted to better heeled clientele with a job to do and money to be made. You may find the antique interest in your favor here.

I would recommend you NOT use the 2-1/2" pipe method slipped over the end of the axle while on the car. You don't know against what defect you're pulling particularly, or where you want to go, and the results can be more irregular than the initial defect. And you may do damage to the rest of the car.

Replacement front axles is where I have gone. I now have (um) four in various stages of rework. ALL of them are bent to some degree or another - so one can conclude after 80 years or so most all axles are bent to some degree - usually the passenger side "pushed back" somewhat. Having a replacement is nice since you can work on that in your (ahem) "spare" time and have it ready to go when you feel particularly motivated to work under a car.

The steering stabilizer might be a temporary band-aid.

Joe K