View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Rotella T4 oil, dirty oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
My gut tells me that the dirty black oil isn't specific to Rotella.

I would suggest changing the oil on your modern car at 500 miles and you'll probably find that the oil is also black and seemingly dirty. Oil gets dark very quickly after an oil change but that doesn't mean it's not doing its job.

Of course oil will get more dirty more quickly in an A given the lack of air and oil filters on most of them which is why the 500 mile change interval (though I think is too short with modern oils). With a new engine like you have I wouldn't worry much. Do you run an air filter? I can't remember.

Another reason for my concern - Last oil change I went 750 miles before changing, and was shocked to see black sticky/a little gooey stuff in the drain plug cavity,. Beginnings of sludge? Don't know. 1st time I have seen it. Do not know if the previous oil change I installed a magnetic oil plug had anything to do with this, but I did not see anything metallic in the plug or in the drain oil.

Tried a High Boy/K & N air filter this year for awhile, took it off while dealing with other issues. Trying to get the truck running the way I want it to, then base line MPGs and oil condition/changes. Then add air filter, baseline it again, then perhaps add an oil filter and baseline again.

I gave up for awhile, just wanted to enjoy driving the truck for awhile, but plan on getting back to this once I get the brakes sorted out next spring.

As you might be able to tell, am retired with too much time on my hands, but am definitely not a mechanic. Nothing is obvious for me when dealing with something the 1st time.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote