Thread: Gear ratio
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 04:02 PM   #20
Synchro909

Default Re: Gear ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmws View Post
Originally Posted by wmws View Post
I have the Mitchell and am happy with it. A little spendy but relatively easy to install.

I have the 3.78 rear. The nice thing about the Mitchell is if on a hill you can go from 3rd OD to 3rd standard to 2nd OD and even to 2nd standard although I have not found a hill yet that I can't make in 2nd OD.
The motor in my Phaeton is very good but even then, there are hills I have to climb out of my place even before I get to the main road that require a bit of skill to get up even in standard 1st gear when I'm towing my camper. It weighs about a tonne and I have to zig zag my way up the hill to get there. Once out in the open, I am very happy with the 3.78 rear end and 26% Mitvhell O/D. We travel at 50 mph all day, every day (our longest single trip so far has been 14,000 miles)
At the other end of the scale, I have a 1928 Tudor with a B motor. The motor is fitted with a 5.5 head and Stromberg downdraught carburettor. The rear end is 3.54 and there is another 26% Mitchell in front of that. I find that to be too much. Fuel economy is terrible, it almost stops if a hill even comes into view, it is hard work driving it and it hates a head wind. The tyres were getting low so I recently put a set of 19" wheels on it hoping that the slightly smaller diameter would help. It did not. I see a 3.78 set of gears going into the rear end of that car pretty soon - once I save up o buy them.