View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
Kube

Default Re: What heads? 1941 half ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinsideways View Post
I have been trying to figure out which heads I need for a 1941 1/2 ton pickup with the optional Mercury engine. I would like them to be correct. Unfortunately the engine came with one 59AB and one 41A head. I have gotten some conflicting reports. Can anyone point me to some solid research or standards? Thanks for your time. Posted this on EFV8 too. Luke
I have done extensive research in regard to factory installed Mercury engines in to Ford vehicles while working on my book. This program began unofficially in 1940 and as such only a very small number of 1940 Fords were built this way. In 1941 the "program" became official but was not promoted so while more vehicles were built this way, the number by percentage of total '41 Fords produced remained insignificant.

I find your post especially interesting in regard to "coming with the optional Mercury engine".
The Mercury engine had (stock) cast iron heads with a large (about 1" in height) "T" cast upon the face of each head. Cast on the "edge" of one head is 99T-6049, on the other, 99T-6050.

Mercury engine installation in to a Ford in 1941 required written permission from the Ford Motor Co. This permission was only considered after a letter was submitted from a limited number of official departments (Fire, Police, Sherriff) through a dealer.
The letter from the official department had to be on their letterhead and explain why this vehicle was desired and the (official) capacity in which it would be used. That letter would then be forwarded to Ford Motor CO. with a letter of request from the dealer.
NO consideration was given to an "ordinary" citizen. I have never seen any record of a truck being built this way and I have a LOT of records.
I suppose it's possible "one slid through the cracks" but without documentation I'd suggest your truck was never built that way in 1941.
If you have documentation, I would be eager to inspect it if possible.

Last edited by Kube; 07-22-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote