View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #20
JimNNN

Default Re: FE 390 oil related questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat5 View Post
Why are you so worried about oil pressure? Is the engine that bad? I always thought that you would see a red light flash on in your dash before you would notice a low gauge reading. Either way, when the light goes on, or the gauge gets noticed, it's way too late, the damage is already done, the indicator is merely informing you of it, don't blame either one.

I'm not sure, but I think this question is directed at me, so I'll try answering it. I wouldn't think replacing a notoriously vague non-numerical factory oil pressure gauge with an aftermarket gauge type that's worked well in other applications would qualify as being "so worried" about oil pressure, but if it is, I'm OK with that. My T-Bird has no low pressure warning light from the factory, so I'm putting one in because, as you say, it's noticed more easily.

The idea that an oil light going on while the car is running automatically means your engine is ruined or damaged isn't correct, especially since this particular light I'm installing is adjustable across a fairly broad range of PSI. Sudden changes in oil pressure can happen because of pump problems or leaks. My sister suddenly lost oil pressure in her brand new car because an oil filter had been improperly installed at the dealership. She kept driving with the light on so she wouldn't be late for work. Guess what happened?

Last edited by JimNNN; 12-19-2019 at 03:25 PM.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote