View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #17
Terry, NJ

Default Re: 5.5:1 or 6.1:1 High Compression Heads?

When I was a pilot and wanting to buy my own plane, I had a discussion about power requirements. Many small plane manufacturers were not inclined to "overpower" their machines. The original Piper/Taylor Cubs when first built, were only 36HP. That's hardly enough to get a heavily loaded Cub out of ground effect. You have no reserve power to prevent a stall. Put-Put airplanes are widow makers. It's a similar case with a put put car. Take a stock A out on a interstate. In rush hour you'll get to know what real fear is. Some will argue that the A is not a "put put" automobile. I will argue that compared to a modern car, It is. My Transit has over three times the HP and the rush hour traffic on I-25 in Denver, this year, kinda scared the sweat out of me and I wish I had more. The most effective way to to boost the HP to more modern levels is a H.C. head. Being conservative myself and always conscious of the bearing load, I advise a 5 1/2-1, but even a 6-1 isn't even that high. My diesel Jetta was 19-1. Word to the wise, Watch your timing!
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote