View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 02:56 AM   #27
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: front wheel bearing adjustment ?

FWIW: One humble opinion:

Just like on this Forum, or in our Congress today, or in Model A parts warehouses ..... everybody can witness that not all Nuts are alike.

I have several old, original Model A front axles with accompanying trailer nuts that were once used on trailers years ago; some from old Model A's; and I also bought several front axle nuts from several different places over the past 60 years, including the World famous J. C. Whitney all the way up to Bert's and Bratton's.

No two (2) nuts are alike when tightening front wheel bearings and no two "worn" washers are alike either where the nut forces will differ when the cotter pin is aligned.

With my mechanic Dad born 1902, (who remembered covered wagons and Model T's before "self-starters"), and his professional mechanic brother born 1905, I was taught to try different nuts and washers where there is no loose play in the front wheels when one tries to shake the wheel at top and bottom ....... but also the wheel does not bind when rotated.

First tighten front axle nut to insure that both front wheel bearing races are firmly secure and seated.

Takes a little time and patience; however, if one wants to, the back side of various nuts can be filed a little to achieve this above mentioned degree of perfection that my Dad taught me.

Like Mr. Bill Williamson, I personally do not think front wheels bearings should allow the front wheels to shake.

After sixty (60) years with no Model A front wheel bearing failure ...... I feel just like Clark Gable in the 1939 movie: Gone with The Wind ............ "Frankly my dear, I don't give a Damn" how all other people choose to personally adjust their nuts.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 08-13-2017 at 03:13 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote